The Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases

Welcome to
the National CRPS Rehabilitation Service and the
Complex Cancer Late Effects Rehabilitation Service

We are a specialist service at the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases, with an internationally recognised expertise in pain management and rehabilitation.  We are now based at the new RNHRD & Brownsword Therapies Centre (part of the Royal United Hospital) in Bath.

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) is a chronic pain condition that often affects the limbs.  It can cause a variety of symptoms, with pain starting following injury to the limb or sometimes for no obvious reason.  We are the national CRPS rehabilitation service for adults in the UK.  Complex Cancer Late Effects can include uncontrolled pain and poor movement due to treatment.  It can also include brachial plexus nerve damage as a result of radiotherapy treatment given for breast cancer in the past.

Our Rehabilitation Service

We offer a specialist rehabilitation service to people affected by CRPS and Complex Cancer Late Effects.  Everyone referred to us is assessed initially as an outpatient before a decision is made as to whether our inpatient programme is appropriate for you.  The services are run by a multi-disciplinary team, with an emphasis on promoting self-management.

The inpatient rehabilitation programme usually runs for a period of two weeks.  You will be part of a group of 6-8 people who are either affected by CRPS or Complex Cancer Late Effects, but the treatment will be tailored to your individual needs as much as possible.

You will learn a number of new skills including relaxation, mindfulness and desensitisation.  Medical involvement is minimal, but you may be seen by our pain consultant during your stay.

We also teach different techniques and strategies to help you manage your condition and improve your level of function in everyday activities.

Our Referral Process

The CRPS and Complex Late Effects services are both provided on a national basis for adults aged 18 years or over.  If you live in England, then this is currently funded as a national specialist service via NHS England.  If you live elsewhere in the UK, then special funding will need to be obtained by your GP or local pain consultant before you are referred.  We are also able to accept private referrals.

Learn more about referrals